We have been in Quad City suburb Colona IL for a week. Jo has had several visits with her 96 year old mother. The Cooper Clan sisters (Arla, Jo and Barbara) and family members have gotten together for pizza and cards, Tuesday happy hours, and, usually at Jo’s urging, a few meals out. Jo and I also have sampled a few Whitey’s milkshakes, always excellent.
A small carnival appears for the Memorial Day weekend in Colona every year, and for the first time I attended it, just to reminisce and take pictures. The rides seem much the same as 50 years a ago, as do the games of chance/skill, but I missed the bumper cars.
Pictures are taken in the Canon A1100 IS 12 mp point and shoot camera.
I was there at twilight, the time families with young children attended. Ride tickets were $1.00 each, and rides charged between 3 and 5 tickets to ride. Oh, the effects of inflation!
And this ride was a scaled down roller coaster.
On this one centrifugal force overcomes gravity.
A tamer example of centrifugal force.
This carnival had no ferris wheel. While this ride at first glance seems close, the passenger cages rotate 360 degrees while the big arm rotates. I would be quick to pass on this one.
The object of this one was to throw a ball at the cups and win whatever prize was named in the cup you might knock over.
Here the contestant had the satisfaction of popping a balloon with a dart to win the promised prize.
Of course, all sorts of delicacies were available at the food booths.
The plastic headlight covers on our Jeep looked like they had cataracts, so I invested in the 3M product kit to remove the clouding and make them clear again. This is the first time for me to clean the covers. Mike has done two, so he is the old hand with using the kit.
The first picture is the before condition.
I used the masking tape in the kit to protect the finish on the body while successive higher grits on small sanding disks powered by an electric drill were used on the plastic to remove the haze. Mike Williams and I took turns in the grinding/polishing process.
This is the final result we were able to get with all of the sanding disks in the kit. While it is a big improvement, we could gotten it clearer with more disks.