Tuesday, June 26, 2012

BELOIT COLLEGE AND NOSTALGIC BUILDINGS IN BELOIT

After the wedding, Jo went to Lonedale MO with her grandchildren who attended the wedding to look after the family home while Jo’s daughter and husband took a cruise to the Bahamas on the occasion of their 25th wedding anniversary. I drove the motor home from Colona to Beloit WI to attend my 55th anniversary of graduation from Beloit College, to research on my Strong ancestors who lived in Beloit,  and to take a nostalgia tour of the area in which I was raised.

 

 IMG_9358

Beloit College’s icon building is Middle College, the first building for the college completed about 1850. The class of 1962 is gathering on the steps for their 50th reunion picture.

 

 

IMG_9354

Why is everyone in the class of 1962 holding a  paper plate in front of their faces?

IMG_9355

Answer: so the caption writer can correctly identify each person from the number on the plate!

 

IMG_9360

The Beloit College campus contains many mounds build by natives of many years ago. I attended a seminar/walk about the campus about the mounds. There are three kinds on the campus, conical or round, linear (one is about 50 feet long) and effigy. This is the only effigy mound on the campus, a turtle. Its features have been obscured over the centuries. There are burials in some mounds but not in others. The Anthropology department has excavated many of the mounds.

 

 IMG_9366

This is the Strong family home on Church Street in Beloit. My maternal grandmother babysat me there occasionally between 1939 and about 1941. The front porch has been enclosed and another entrance added.

 

IMG_9376

Street sign for the corner of Strong Ave. and Milwaukee Rd.

 

IMG_9378

Sign for Strong Park which is bordered by Strong Ave.

 

  IMG_9385

This home on Bluff St. was the home of the James A Strong family. I also recall visiting here many times as a child.

 

IMG_9387

This is the home at 510 Locust of the parents of Mildred Richardson Strong, mother of cousins Jim, Marilyn, Pamela and Barbara. I rode my bike past this home 6 days a week for three years while pedaling home after completing my paper route.

The two homes in which I lived in Beloit between 1939 to 1955  have been demolished, as well as all of the public school buildings I attended except for the brand new high school my class moved into after we started high school in the old building. Have I become superannuated?

No comments:

Post a Comment