Friday, February 19, 2016

VISIT TO FLORENCE AZ

 Monty and I visited Florence AZ in December 2015 and took in some interesting sights.

I tried a case in the Pinal County courthouse  in the 1970s, and during a lunch recess I wandered into a local museum.  I was somewhat shocked to see dictation equipment there identical to that used by my mother when she worked at the Freeman Shoe Corp. in Beloit in the 1940s.

 

IMG_6599

The same  Ediphone equipment remains on display in a museum in Florence,  but in a different building and much better shown. Dictation was recorded on a rotating wax cylinder, which was played back by the secretary to transcribe it.

 

IMG_6600

They also had the shaving machine, used to shave off the wax on the outside of the used cylinder so the cylinder could be re-used for more dictation.

IMG_6601

Here is the old courthouse, nicely restored and still in use for some county offices. The courts have moved to a much larger building.

 

 

IMG_6605

The interior was decorated for the Christmas season.

I now dress much more casually than I did  the last time I was there!

1 comment: