Tuesday, June 14, 2016

WEEKI WACHEE KAYAK FLOAT

 

On May 31 daughter Christine and I rented a two person kayak to paddle 5.5 miles down the Weeki Wachee River in central Florida. Below is a sketch of the part of the river we paddled.

 

 

IMG_0732

 

 

As she is the experienced kayaker, she took the back seat and I had the front, needing to paddle only to avoid obstacles. She gave me the green  waterproof container shown below  to carry my smart phone to take pictures through a plastic covering.  I found that my old Canon A1100 IS digital camera would fit in the container, so I elected to carry it there.

IMG_6817IMG_6817

Here we are at the launching point, with paddles in hand and our gear all loaded on the kayak.

 

IMG_6818

 

The river is fed from a flowing spring and flows less that 10 miles to the Gulf.  The white bottom is nicely packed sand, with the darker area being small plants growing on the bottom.

 

IMG_6819

The water is placid the whole way.  We took the trip on a weekday, but there still were quite a few others in kayaks and canoes. Most had the wisdom to go downstream, but we encountered a few paddling against the current.

 

IMAG0395_BURST002

This and the rest of the shots are from Christine's smart phone camera.  I must confess that I took my Canon out of the waterproof container and twisted to get a picture of other kayakers. My weight shift caused the our kayak to turn over.  My camera could not be salvaged, but the pictures on the memory card were ok.

 

 

IMAG0399

Here we are recovering from the upset. Christine was able to catch up with the gear on board as it slowly floated down the river.

I was glad that I was wearing the floatation device. We dried off quickly.

 

IMAG0408

 

Here is the best picture of one of the two manatees we saw. Both had scars on their backs from boat propellers.

 

IMAG0412

Above and below are shots at the takeout point at Rogers Park. 2  1/2 miles further the river empties into the Gulf of Mexico.

 

IMAG0413

 

 

 

IMAG0417

Near the entrance to the kayak outfitter's place of business are statues of mermaids. The Weeki Wachee Springs Mermaid show is staged there three times a day on weekdays and 4 times on weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment