Sunday, July 24, 2016

MORE ON THE HENNEPIN CANAL AND GENESEO CAMPGROUND

I have taken walks nearly every day on the paved path along the Hennepin Canal. One route  round trip is 2 miles; the other is 2.8 miles. My GPS pedometer app tells me that I have gotten up to an average of 2.7 mph on the walks.

Yesterday I saw a heron perched on a log  hoping for lunch to swim by. Turtles seem to have favorite logs for sunning themselves. Fishing is not great, but there are a few fish in the canal.

 

IMG_20160713_100515971

This in the largest fishing boat I have see on the shallow canal. Most are kayaks or canoes.

 

IMG_20160713_095256064

 Here are about 20 canada geese swimming in a row. I saw them only on the day I took this picture.

 

IMG_20160710_102433499 

 All of the machinery for operating this lock still is in place. On the right is the hand operated  mechanism for opening the gate for the tunnel to let water flow out of the lock  when the doors at both ends are closed. The gate on the opposite side permanently is open.

 

IMG_20160710_102453611

 Also hand-cranked is the gearing to pull the I beam back to open this half of the upstream gate. The rear roller for supporting the I beam still is in place.

 

IMG_6823

 This is our home in the RV park where we will  be parked for six weeks before leaving on Aug.2. We have full hookups, good park wifi and a hole in the foliage for our satellite TV signal to come through to our roof antenna. Mike and Barbara Williams are parked a short walk from us.

 

IMG_20160713_091725210

This interesting combination of a long motorhome and a tiny tow car was in the park one night. The driver told me that he got the Smart Car just two weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment